Over 3.6 million copies have been sold of the preeminent book on classroom management and teaching for lesson achievement. The book walks a teacher, either novice or veteran, through the most effective ways to begin a school year and continue to become an effective teacher. This is the most basic book on how to teach. Every teacher and administrator needs to have a copy.
The book is used in thousands of school districts, in over 116 countries, and in over 2,026 college classrooms. It’s inspiring and it works.
Included in this 4th edition is a free one hour DVD, “Using THE FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL” presented by Chelonnda Seroyer. Voted teacher-of-the-year, Chelonnda used this book to transform her classroom into a place of organized learning. Her message details her professional growth and discovery. You’ll laugh, cry, and be proud that you’re a fellow classroom teacher.
Unit A - Basic Understandings __The Teacher
The successful teacher must know and practice the three characteristics of an effective teacher.
- Why You Need to Succeed on the First Days of School
- What Is an Effective Teacher?
- How You Can Be a Happy First-Year Teacher
- How to Close the Student Achievement Gap
- Why You Should Use Proven, Research-Based Practices
Unit B - First Characteristic __Positive Expectations
The effective teacher has positive expectations for student success.
- Why Positive Expectations Are Important
- How to Help All Students Succeed
- How to Dress for Success
- How to Invite Students to Learn
- How to Increase Positive Student Behavior
Unit C - Second Characteristic __Classroom Management
The effective teacher is an extremely good classroom manager.
- How to Have a Well-Managed Classroom
- How to Have Your Classroom Ready
- How to Introduce Yourself to Your Class
- How to Arrange and Assign Seating
- How to Start a Class Effectively
- When and How to Take Roll
- How to Maintain an Effective Grade Record System
- How to Have an Effective Discipline Plan
- How to Teach Students to Follow Classroom Procedures
- How Procedures Improve the Opportunity to Learn
Unit D - Third Characteristic __Lesson Mastery
The successful teacher knows how to design lessons to help students achieve.
- How to Create an Effective Assignment
- How to Test for Student Learning
- How to Assess for Student Learning
- How to Enhance Student Learning
Unit E - Future Understandings __The Professional
The teacher who constantly learns and grows becomes a professional educator.
- How to Develop a Culture of Effective Teachers
Epilogue How to Develop a Culture of Effective Teachers
Back of Book “Using THE FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL”
The DVD features Chelonnda Seroyer as she walks you through how she implements The First Days of School in her classroom.