THE Classroom Management Book, 2nd Edition
THE Classroom Management Book, 2nd Edition
The companion book to THE First Days of School shows in detail how to apply procedures to create a safe place where student achievement thrives. The updated, 2nd edition will help prevent classroom discipline problems and develop routines where everyone knows what to do.
Suggested Retail Price: $36.95
Publisher-Direct Price: $26.95
This is a solutions book that shows how to establish classroom management from the ground up in any classroom at any grade level. Use this book to organize and structure a classroom that creates a safe and positive environment for student learning and achievement to take place. It offers 50 classroom procedures that can be applied, changed, adapted, into classroom routines for any classroom management plan at any type of school setting.
The information is supplemented with 40 QR Codes that take the learning beyond the basic text.
As the companion book to THE First Days of School, it takes one of the three characteristics of an effective teacher, being an extremely good classroom manager, and shows how to put it into practice in the classroom. It will show you how to manage your classroom step by step.
Our eLearning offering, THE Classroom Management Course, is built around the information found in this book. Access to the book is required to complete the course.
THE Classroom Management Book will help you prevent classroom discipline problems and help you create an atmosphere where everyone knows what to do—even when you are not in the classroom!
- 320-page book with Index
- 50 step-by-step procedures
- 40 QR Codes for extended learning
- ISBN: 978-0-9764233-9-3
Table of Contents
THE Classroom Management Book
- They Quietly Walked in and Got to Work
- Everything Is in Place at the Beginning of the School Year
- The Authors
- The Greatest Gift
- Getting Ready for the Most Important Career You Could Ever Have
Prologue: Classroom Management Defined
- The Effective and Successful Teacher
- Get It Right from the Start
- Definition of Classroom Management
- The First Five Minutes
- Difference Between Classroom Management and Discipline
- The Worst Four-Letter Word
- The Key to Success Is Consistency
- Special Needs Students Thrive on Consistency
- The Need for a Trusting Environment
- Every Student Made Progress. Every. Single. One.
Preparation: Before the First Day of School
- Prepare Before School Begins
- A Complete First-Day Script Checklist
- The Need for a Classroom Management Plan
- Creating a Classroom Management Plan
- Thanks for the Peace
- Presenting Your Classroom Management Plan
- Creating a Plan in PowerPoint
- From Warrior to Effective Teacher
- How to Teach a Procedure
- The Class Proceeded Without Me
- How to Start the First Day and Every Day
- It's in the bag
Procedures: For the First Day of School
- The Start of Class Routine
- The Agenda
- The Freedom to Produce Results
- An Opening Assignment
- Bellringer Times Three
- Taking Attendance
- 130 Students and No Time Wasted
- Dismissing the Class
- A Safe Dismissal or a Tragic One?
Procedures: For Students
- Collecting Notes and Forms
- Clean Up the Classroom Clutter
- Classroom Tardiness
- Absent Folder
- Organizing Homework
- Paper Headings
- District-Wide Consistency
- Unfinished Class Assignments
Procedures: For the Classroom
- Emergency Preparedness
- Surviving a School Active Shooter
- Getting Students’ Attention
- Your Attention, Please
- Classroom Jobs
- Classroom Phone Ringing
- Teaching Procedures Becomes Routine
- Bathroom Breaks
- Replacing Dull or Broken Pencils
- Keeping Desks Orderly
- Everything Has a Place and a Purpose
- Collecting and Returning Papers
- Classroom Transitions
- Keeping Students on Task
- Tone Is the Key
- Finishing Work Early
- Creating a Learning Zone
- Missing Assignment Slip
- Daily Closing Message
- Communication on a Weekly Basis
- Guideline Infraction Notice
- Preparation and Consistency Are Key—A Mother’s Advice
- Morning Meetings
- Preparation and Consistency Are Key—A Daughter’s Reflection
Procedures: For Instruction
- Class Discussions
- I Know the Answer!
- Working in Groups
- Note Taking
- Reading a Textbook
- Read Any Place Time
- Classroom and School Libraries
- Taking a Test
- Students Correcting Work
- Cultivating Social Skills
- Simple Procedures, Plus Courtesy
Procedures: For the Special Needs Classroom
- The Special Needs Classroom
- Hand Washing
- Snack Time
- Walking to Another Location
- Everything in Its Place
- Handling Student Anxiety
- Effective Behavior Management Strategies
Procedures: For Teachers
- New Student Orientation
- The Angry Student
- The Death of a Student
- In Tears the Class Proceeded
- The Death of a Parent
- Substitute Teacher Handbook
- The Substitute Teacher
- A Teacher Aide
- Parent Volunteers
- The Foundation of Effective Teaching
- Classroom Visitors
- Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Back-to-School Night
- Job Sharing—The Best of Both Worlds
- Home and School Connection
- Technology in the Classroom
Plans: For the First Days of School
- My Personal First Day of School Script
- A Partial Script for the First Day of School
- A Middle School First-Day Plan
- A High School First-Week Plan
- An Elementary First-Ten-Days Plan
- A Principal’s Guide for a Teacher’s First-Day Script
Epilogue: A Call to Action
- I Can’t Wait to Start School Every Year
- Execute and Follow Through
- A Last-Day Letter
- QR Code Summary
QR Code Summary
This information corresponds to the QR Code information offered in THE Classroom Management Book. Each code provides additional information, research, or activities that supplement the book. To access the QR Code information from the 1st edition of this book, please click here.
Click each description to access the content.
PROCEDURES: For the First Day of School
PROCEDURES: For Students
PROCEDURES: For the Classroom
PROCEDURES: For Instruction
PROCEDURES: For the Special Needs Classroom
PROCEDURES: For Teachers
We are pleased to provide copies of our books to qualifying professors.
Desk copies are complimentary copies sent to professors who have adopted our books for their course. We provide one complimentary desk copy with an expected enrollment of 10 or more students in your course. Expected enrollment will be verified through your bookstore. Desk copies are limited to one per professor every two years.
For professors considering the use of any of our books, we provide an electronic preview copy for a 60-day access period through Vital Source Bookshelf.
For professors wishing a hard copy for preview, we require a refundable deposit of $18.95 (plus sales tax for California orders only). The amount will be refunded in full upon the return of the preview copy or adoption of the book with qualification for a complimentary desk copy.
For professors who would like a personal copy of our books but do not qualify for a complimentary desk copy, books are available at a professional discount of $18.95 (plus sales tax for California orders only). There is a limit of two professional copies per instructor.
For additional assistance with your desk, examination, or professional copy, please call 650-965-7896 or email CustomerService@HarryWong.com.
We are pleased to offer a savings for quantity orders of THE Classroom Management Book.
Click here to download a complete list of our products and the volume pricing we offer.